Code is Personal
Friday, April 02, 2010, by Sebastian Dwornik

Programming is hard and incredibly time consuming.

Once you've got the basic language constructs down, the rest of your time then is spent drudging through API frameworks, class libraries, big piles of code and GUI design, and then fighting to integrate all of those methods together with the machine platform you're focused on.

But when you finally manage to write, debug, and test those perfect little functions, they become yours.  A creation out of nothing, born to do your bidding and you own them.

Demo scene 1992The time and energy you invested into their creation makes it personal.  And letting go of them is hard.  Especially when you've had big plans for that code and now you're forced to abandon it, because you're switching to a new platform that doesn't allow you to take your old code with you.

It reminds me of the time when I finally had to abandon my wonderful DOS graphics library coded and optimized in beautiful X86 Assembler for the demo scene in 1992, to instead transition into full C/C++ and Win32.

I still have that old assembler code library for nostalgic reasons.  But it's long abandoned now and will forever remain just a story with some great memories.

Such is change.

Re: Code is Personal

No posts

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

B_other_topics

Groups

Copyright © 2007 - 2017 Applied PDA Software, Inc. Fresh Lime Studio
All products mentioned on this web site are owned and copyrighted by their respective companies.